Docker CLI - Manually Update Containers
Here I describe how to update Docker Containers via the CLI.
See also my note about executing Docker commands without
As an example I’m using the
- Login to the CLI
docker pull portiner/portainer-ce
- When a new image has been downloaded continue down here
First make a backup of the data of a container (optional)
As an example I’m using the Portainer container
- Stop the container:
docker stop portainer
- Rename the container by adding
.saveafter the name:
docker rename portainer portainer.save
- Now have the container created with the new image. I do that by calling the portainer_run.sh shell script.
The container with
.savein the name can be deleted with
docker rm unifi.saveat a later time if the new container works well
Remaining images can be cleaned with
docker image pruneor view the images and the id of the images with
docker images -aand delete a single image with
docker rmi <id>
Read other notes
No comments found for this note.
Join the discussion for this note on this ticket. Comments appear on this page instantly.
Notes mentioning this note
- Docker - MariaDB Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker MariaDB container.
- Docker - Portainer Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Portainer container.
- Docker - WebDAV Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the WebDAV container.
- Portainer - Manually Update Docker Containers
Here I describe how to update Docker containers with Portainer.
- Synology - Manually Update Docker Containers
Below is how I manually update my Synology Docker containers.
- Docker - Jekyll Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Jekyll container.
- Docker - Visual Studio Code Server Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Visual Studio Code Server container.
- Docker - Unifi Controller Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Unifi Controller container.
- Docker - Node-RED Container Setup with Authentication and Home Assistant Nodes
Here I describe my setup of the Node-RED docker container.
- Docker - Home Assistant Container Setup with MariaDB and InfluxDB 2.x
Here I describe my setup of the Home Assistant container with MariaDB and InfluxDB 2.x.
- Docker - Pi-hole Container Setup with Unbound
Here I describe my setup of the Pi-hole docker container.
- Docker - Unbound Container Setup with Pi-hole
Here I describe my setup of the Unbound docker container.
- Docker - Syncthing Container Setup
Syncthing is a great piece of software that lets you safely sychronize your files between different devices and operating systems....
- Docker - Grafana Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Grafana container. With Grafana you can create beautiful dashboards.
- Docker - Telegraf Container Setup with InfluxDB to Monitor Docker
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Telegraf container. Telegraf from InfluxData is a server agent for collecting metrics...
- Docker - Hop Server Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Apache Hop Server container. Apache Hop is an open source data integration...
- Docker - Calibre-web Container Setup with New Calibre Database
I use Calibre-web to sync e-books to my Kobo eReader. Here I describe my setup of the Docker Calibre-web container....
- Docker - Jellyfin Container Setup
Jellyfin is a great open source media system and in my case Jellyfin replaced Plex. Here I describe my setup...
- Docker - Telegraf Container with Syslog Receiver Input Plugin
I found out that an IoT device (smart power strip) had the setting to communicatie with a syslog server and...
- Docker - Budibase Low-code Platform Container Setup
When I heard that my employer was using the no-code platform Betty Blocks my interest was piqued. Although I like...
- Docker - InfluxDB 2.x Container Setup
InfluxDB is a time series database.
- Docker - QuestDB Container Setup
QuestDB is a high-performance, open-source SQL database. QuestDB’s stack is engineered from scratch, zero-GC Java and dependency-free. It includes endpoints...
- Docker - Smartmeter2mqtt Container Setup with Webserver and Webrequest Output
Smartmeter2mqtt is an application that parses smartmeter data over the network or a P1 cable, I use it in combination...
- Docker - n8n Workflow Automation Container Setup
As a big fan of Node-RED and Apache Hop, it took me a long time to give n8n a try....