Portainer - Manually Update Docker Containers
Here I describe how to update Docker containers with Portainer.
Portainer also runs as a container. The setup is described here.
- Open Portainer and choose
- Check if a new image is available for the container as follows:
- Click on the image id associated with the container
- Click on
Pull from registry(the blue download button at the top)
- If a new image is available, it will be listed as
First make a backup of the data of a container (optional)
- Go to
Containers. In the list of containers, the image no longer contains the tag but an id of the old image if a new image is available
- Open the container by clicking on the container name
- Stop the container
- Click on
Edit container name(this is a button after the name of the container). Put
.saveafter the name. Then it is for example:
- Click on Duplicate/Edit
- Now remove
.saveafter the name
- Turn off
Always pull the imageand click on
Deploy the container
The containers with
.savein the name and the associated images can be deleted at a later time if the new container works properly
Read other notes
No comments found for this note.
Join the discussion for this note on this ticket. Comments appear on this page instantly.
Notes mentioning this note
- Docker - MariaDB Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker MariaDB container.
- Docker - Portainer Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Portainer container.
- Docker - WebDAV Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the WebDAV container.
- Docker CLI - Manually Update Containers
Here I describe how to update Docker Containers via the CLI.
- Synology - Manually Update Docker Containers
Below is how I manually update my Synology Docker containers.
- Docker - Jekyll Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Jekyll container.
- Docker - Visual Studio Code Server Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Visual Studio Code Server container.
- Docker - Unifi Controller Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Unifi Controller container.
- Docker - Node-RED Container Setup with Authentication and Home Assistant Nodes
Here I describe my setup of the Node-RED docker container.
- Docker - Home Assistant Container Setup with MariaDB and InfluxDB 2.x
Here I describe my setup of the Home Assistant container with MariaDB and InfluxDB 2.x.
- Docker - Pi-hole Container Setup with Unbound
Here I describe my setup of the Pi-hole docker container.
- Docker - Unbound Container Setup with Pi-hole
Here I describe my setup of the Unbound docker container.
- Docker - Syncthing Container Setup
Syncthing is a great piece of software that lets you safely sychronize your files between different devices and operating systems....
- Docker - Grafana Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Grafana container. With Grafana you can create beautiful dashboards.
- Docker - Telegraf Container Setup with InfluxDB to Monitor Docker
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Telegraf container. Telegraf from InfluxData is a server agent for collecting metrics...
- Docker - Hop Server Container Setup
Here I describe my setup of the Docker Apache Hop Server container. Apache Hop is an open source data integration...
- Docker - Calibre-web Container Setup with New Calibre Database
I use Calibre-web to sync e-books to my Kobo eReader. Here I describe my setup of the Docker Calibre-web container....
- Docker - Jellyfin Container Setup
Jellyfin is a great open source media system and in my case Jellyfin replaced Plex. Here I describe my setup...
- Docker - Telegraf Container with Syslog Receiver Input Plugin
I found out that an IoT device (smart power strip) had the setting to communicatie with a syslog server and...
- Docker - Budibase Low-code Platform Container Setup
When I heard that my employer was using the no-code platform Betty Blocks my interest was piqued. Although I like...
- Docker - InfluxDB 2.x Container Setup
InfluxDB is a time series database.
- Docker - QuestDB Container Setup
QuestDB is a high-performance, open-source SQL database. QuestDB’s stack is engineered from scratch, zero-GC Java and dependency-free. It includes endpoints...
- Docker - Smartmeter2mqtt Container Setup with Webserver and Webrequest Output
Smartmeter2mqtt is an application that parses smartmeter data over the network or a P1 cable, I use it in combination...
- Docker - n8n Workflow Automation Container Setup
As a big fan of Node-RED and Apache Hop, it took me a long time to give n8n a try....